( For Cycling forms, routes, leaflets, guidance and information use sub Menu
and also for information about how to sponsor people / donate )
The Cycle Ride is raising Money and Awareness toward
the restoration of the church : –
St Mary’s Church is 800 years old in 2025. We’re looking by then to restore the building and restore it to being a really useful resource to the village and surrounding community.
This will include :
- putting in a disabled toilet and a kitchenette
- returning the nave (body of the church) to what we believe it was for 600 years a flexible space, good for varieties of worship, concerts and events. (There will most likely be stackable chairs instead of pews).
- replacing the roof (it’s currently got old concrete tiles which are beginning to break up, we’re going to put slates on which should last at least 100 years).
- solving issues of subsidence
- repairing stonework
- work on the heating system
- and improvements to the AV
This should set the building up to be useful for the next 100-200 years and enable much of what is done in it now to be done better.
The Sponsored Cycle Ride
This will take place at the end of September 2021 and is the launch of our ongoing appeal to raise the money for the resotoration – we expect the final total to be around £300 000 – £400 000. So there will be many more events and grant applications over the next years so that we can get all the money we need to finish the project. But this sponsored ride is the start.
If you can cycle we have cycling options for all ages
and abilities, (families welcome).
If you would like to sponsor someone, please do this directly with the person who is cycling. Some of them are named on this site, if you wish to know who to contact. http://st-marys-church.org.uk/riders/
I you’re interested in riding – register with us with your name, phone number, email and what your interested in – using our email address : firstname.lastname@example.org NOTE: the short route for families on Saturday the 2nd will be administered through Hook School, so if you have connections to the school please await the information from there or further info on how to register will appear here soon.
THE OPTIONS ARE
- Challenge yourself – Ride 200 Miles from Shipton Moyne in the Cotswolds to Hook
- Ride ‘The Last Part‘ on Sat 2nd
from Eastoft ( 27 or 10 mile options),
or Goole ( 2 miles )
- Do one of The Howden Rotary Club ‘Sponsored Cycle’ routes
in aid of our Big Cycle see http://st-marys-church.org.uk/howden-rotary-club-cycle-sponsored-cycle-rid/ or go directly to Howden rotary club for their information ( a link is on our page which can be found via the sub menu above)
- Do your own 200mile route
over a fortnight (say)
- Be one of those doing some miles on our virtual, relay ride, static exercise bike.
- Join in the end of ride celebration.
Afternoon / Evening of 2nd October.
From serious cyclists, to family fun, there’s a great cycling adventure happening in Hook. It’s all in aid of restoring St. Mary’s Church, the oldest building for miles around, & real resource for our community.
We’re going to trace the wheel-tracks of Thomas and Lucy Sotheron, (who paid for most of the last church restoration, in 1844).
They lived in Hook Hall but had a family house 200 miles away in Shipton Moyne, in the Cotswolds so travelled our route often.
Our long distance cyclists will cover the distance on 30 September — 2 October, arriving back in Hook to a big welcome, and a party.
For kids, families and leisure cyclists there’ll be short routes to ride on 2 October, or you can ride the Howden Rotary Club routes for this cause, or just join the end of ride celebrations on the 2nd.
Or if you’d like to do 200 miles, but can’t make the dates, some people are aiming to do 200 on the Saturday. Or, Say 200 miles in September, or 20 miles a day for 10 days? Why not do it your way?
We’re anticipating a fabulous community event for a great cause if you think you would like to be involved, get training, contact us and well update you soon with more information.